We had warnings that a severe tropical storm/hurricane Beryl was heading our way to Jacksonville Beach. We live only about 5 miles to the ocean. We were blissfully unaware of the danger. All we knew was that we would have bad/severe rain all weekend long. We knew the Jazz Festival at downtown were cancelled due to that. The tubing trip that we planned to go on Memorial day has been cancelled/postponed.
-Sunday-
Sunday afternoon it started raining. We went ahead and used the grill at the gazebo and ate there while it rained. We soon rushed inside as it started to rain harder and a wee bit windy so we got a wee bit wet.
The kids had their bath while I washed up kitchen to get ready for movie night. Then we popped in the DVD and watched the movie. If we had been watching shows on TV, we might have known we were in "danger". But no we were watching movie on DVD. Then at 9:30 p.m., the whole house went dark! Our kids immediately clinged to me and asked what happened. While their papa went looking for flashlight. Jonah soon joined his papa because he had the flashlight(s).
Jonah stayed with his papa rest of the night while Annabelle with me. Normally the kids in their own bed and us in our bed. But it was hot and the kids would not let go of us so we separated. Jonah with papa on our bed while me with Annabelle in their bed. We opened the window a wee bit open to catch the wind and to keep the rain out. We got enough breeze so we slept okay. Keep seeing flashes of lightning here and there. Then we slept. I don't know about the boys. That's their story.
-Monday-
Monday morning came gray and raining. House was gloomy. Still no power! But I was able to make oatmeal for breakfast. Just turn on the gas stove and use the match to light it up. Ta-Dah! If I had electricity stove, I'd be out of service.
Warned the kids not to touch the refrigerator as to keep them cold.
I was stricken with back aches and chose to stay on the bed trying to sleep it off and hoping the pills I popped would work the pain out. Isaac was restless here, couldn't do much around here. No Power. Raining. What to do? He took the kids out for the day leaving me home alone allll afternoon. Prolly was a great thinking on his part because the power remained KAPUT! Still no power!
So when they returned, they were surprised, no power?? Isaac had ordered pizza from Papa John. So we had that for dinner and soon we sent the kids to bed for school. We went to bed early too. Not much else we could do with just flashlight flashing around. Nah!
-Tuesday-
Tuesday morning came. Power still not here! Geeeeez! So we ate cereal outside on the bistro under the front porch. It was brighter there and way way cooler there than in the house. The kids liked that and asked about the light? What happened?? Why not back on yet?? All those curious questions bombing away.
Then I shooed them to the van to drive them to their bus stop. As soon as I opened the van door. The light came on. Jonah pointed to the light and said "Light on! It worked!"
I laughed, Of course it works. I explained that the van is running on battery and not connected to the house.
Jonah, with his hand in Y-shaped up and down, "OOHH, ohhh" Annabelle also listening in and nodding her head, oooh.
That made my morning!
~~~~
The power came back on early afternoon Tuesday.
The tree had been knocked over the powerline on the next street.
~~~
We are thankful that this almost Hurricane Beryl has changed path and moved away.
No comments:
Post a Comment