Sunday, July 24, 2011

Silver and the rabbit

Silver is into mischief again! This time, the rabbit!

We were getting ready to leave for a short road trip to Georgia when I spied Silver having something in his mouth. I dropped everything and start chasing Silver because I wanted to know what creature is in his mouth?? And what is it this time?

When I realized it was a baby rabbit and I kept hoping the rabbit wasn't seriously injured then it ran toward the sofa. I was relieved and same time, oh no, not the sofa. And I thought of the camera. I told the kids to watch the rabbit and make sure it is still there. I ran for the camera and to get my senor.

So this here is my senor.

Senor pointing to Silver the cat with Annabelle looking on
The rabbit hiding under the sofa from Silver.

The rabbit was still under the sofa and I quickly got on the floor and snapped a picture. And gave my senor the camera and I got the kitchen towel and grab hold of the rabbit. Surprisingly it did not even attempted to escape. It just stayed there quietly.

Me and the rabbit.

the rabbit.

Jonah and Annabelle visiting with the rabbit.
They were delighted they got to pet the rabbit and begged to keep the rabbit. The rabbit were very good and just stayed there quietly. We told them we can't keep the rabbit and have to let it go but we weren't going to let it go outside our yard because of Silver. I told him I've seen rabbit at the abandoned blue house around the corner and felt it would be a good place to set the baby rabbit there.

So that exactly what we did when we finally got on the road.

~

That scenario made me think of when I was about 8 or 9 years old living in Morrison, Illinois. On that morning my family, Mom, Dad, my sister and I were to go up to Minnesota on a family visiting vacation, I spied something hopping in our backyard. I ran toward it and scooped up the tiny rabbit and begged my parents to let me keep it.

I think it was hurt but I don't remember rightly but I do remember crying we had to leave it behind driving up to Minnesota. I also remember searching vainly for it when we got back from our vacation.

It was a few moments but seared in my memory that should have faded away.

~

Our kids handled it better than I did. They didn't cry at all and were more accepting. I am grateful.

~

No comments:

Post a Comment