It's hard to believe it's October now! We've been gone most of September on a driving vacation out west as far as New Mexico and Colorado. We had a marvelous time. I think our kids did too, I can't answer for them. LOL.
I haven't download any pictures yet cuz I want to download the other "sim card" before downloading the new one. I have to find it first. Grrr! I just haven't gotten around looking for it. I'm kind of lazy there. I know it is in there or maybe it's in the other place?? Heh. We took a lot of pictures and most of them are repeats of the beautiful scenery in Colorado and New Mexico. And of course, our kids!
What I'll do now is list down the schedules we had while on trip and where we had stopped then later I can add pictures.
We left late morning of Tuesday, August 31 and drove all the way to Louisiana/Texas border. We slept for a few hours in the van at the welcome center in Texas. While we were driving we were talking about how we really wanted to see New Mexico and Arizona but we were stuck with meeting my Senor's brother Jose at Colorado Springs, Colorado. And we originally planned to take his Mama Lola with us and meet Jose then vacation together a few days then Jose and Mama Lola fly to Omaha, Nebraska same time pick up Jasmine. Then we go to ourRCI rental in Vail for a week with Jasmine then drop her off at the airport then we drive to Iowa to pick up Mama Lola and stay a few days before heading back home to Florida.
It was only a few days prior to leaving for our vacation we took Mama Lola along with us to eat out for breakfast. She was having trouble getting into the van and already was sort of complaining. She did not want to get out of van independently, someone has to be there to help her out. She didn't want to walk, wanted to sit in the half "stroller-wheelchair". We try to discourage her from sitting because it is not very comfortable and she really need to walk around more to keep her strength.
I, myself, was really dreading the trip with Mama Lola cuz somehow it will be a burden on me plus having our 2 wee kids. They're still wee although they are growing and growing. They can't belt in their own seat without help. So having them plus Mama Lola. I know my dear Senor will be there to help but it's not the same.
We have already bought 2 one-way tickets for Mama Lola and Jose. We also have already paid and reserved the condo. Isaac decided then that we cannot take Mama Lola with us. It will be too much inconveniences and all. I would not help him in making that decision but when he decided that. I felt all air inside of me whooosh out. Seriously! I was soo relieved and so thankful. I also felt bad for Mama Lola but then she'd not even remember the trip or even appreciate it.
So back to our first day of driving toward Texas, we decided to stop at Austin which again was not even part of our plan. We just changed them all and my senor realize we do not have to meet Jose and decided to cancel meeting with him as well. So picture changed and we suddenly realize we can go here, there, oh yes there too... We were hopeful and excited. He paged his niece Elisa if we could stay at their place??
Sweet Elisa replied we could and what's up? We stayed there 2 nights and had wonderful time sightseeing Austin although we were there before for their wedding. But it was different this time. They had time for us in the evening. Eating out at their wonderful local Mexican franchise, Torchy's Tacos. And going to see all those bats fly out of their bridge to eat up the bugs in the area.
We left early Friday morning driving toward Big Spring and we're still in Texas. It's a huge state. We stopped to check out the deaf community college, SWCID. It really has a nice campus and I was impressed. We stayed at Mark Myers' home. He is my senor's old college mates during Gally days. So they talked and talked and catching up on each others' lives.
Saturday morning we were on the road again driving north to Lubbock to check out the school, SIBI that my senor's brother and his niece and nephew went. Then drove northwest into New Mexico and arrived at Santa Fe at just past dusk. From what we can see, Santa Fe is a beautiful place. We couldn't wait til morning to see if we guessed right. Hoo boy, we did! We were blown away. I right away thought of an old college friend I knew at NTID living here at Santa Fe and tried to find him via Facebook and all. His name is such a common name. And I told my senor I'd not mind trade summer with him. He at our home and we at their home for the summer that way we can explore New Mexico. But, of course, I'd want to see his place first. But we never found him. Just as well.
We stayed at Santa Fe a few days, they had festival right in the middle of their historic section of the town. It was marvelous and we stayed there 2 whole days exploring and all. Eating Indian tacos, and tamales. Going to Indian flea market just outside Santa Fe was an experience for all of us.
Tuesday morning of Sept 7, we stopped at their farmers' market and wowow. It was just as interesting as the festival. Then headed over to New Mexico School for the Deaf. It's a beautiful campus. My senor was hoping to see his old college friend there but it turned out they are in Florida. Funny!! Then we drove up taking the scenic route to Taos. Stopping at old churches and all.
Wednesday morning, we zoomed to Taos Pueblo. The Indians still lives there. We walked around and explored. Then went into town in their shopping hub and there I was sooo delighted to see a quilt store. I was in heaven temporarily. I didn't lounge there long as I'd have liked to but I did get to buy a quilting pattern of chilies sampler. I was happy as a lark rest of the evening. :0)
Then we drove north into Colorado. All the way to Pueblo. It's a nice town and they hold an annual fritos and chilies festival that we would have loved to go the 3rd weekend in September. Grrr! So close!
Thursday morning of September 9th found us driving to Colorado Springs. We stopped at the Seven Falls and we had fun hiking and climbing all those stairs to the top of the mountain. It's soo beautiful. Then when we headed back, my heart was in my throat, looking down and climbing down was harder cuz our kids were pooped and did not want to go down. They also have scraped knees and were whining over it. I couldn't just put Jonah on my hip and just bounce down cuz I was pooped too and sort of scared! I couldn't believe myself. Me scared? But I was more scared for our kids than me. So I knew I'm a true mommy! LOL
I just stepped backward and coaxed Jonah to step down and we did that alllllllll the way down. Our kids really depended on bandages to feel better!! So thank goodness I had packed some and they quiet down once they were on! BAND AIDS!!! Not Mommy!! Boo hooing... LOL!
We headed into town to check out Colorado School for the Deaf. Nice campus and we didn't get to walk around the campus. The security lady wasn't very friendly and we just buzzed off to old town and we decided to stop at a car shop to check out our van's temperature. Ahh Water pump was going bad among other stuffs... Not surprising and we had them to fix half the recommended repairs. And we spent the afternoon there while our van were recuperating.... We walked around since the old town was right around the corner.
Looked for motel after picking up our van and stopped for good ol' Papa John pizza. Then the following morning found us at Colorado Springs' cliff dwelling place. Lots of pictures there to be shown later. We had fun there all morning then we rushed to Denver to pick up my Senor's dear daughter Jasmine.
After getting Jasmine we stopped at a Mexican place which my senor was sorely disappointed. Then we head over the mountain to our RCI resort in Vail. It was a beautiful drive. Mountains and mountains everywhere.
Our place for the week was beautiful. Had a loft which was our bedroom. The kids loved the circular stairway up to our bedroom. Of course we got complaints over our noisy kids! Sigh! We just relaxed and rode their shuttle bus over to town. They had Oktoberfest festival. Went swimming in pool and relaxing outside in hot pool. Cooked out.
Jasmine was seriously considering moving to Colorado and wanted to explore Denver and discovered that she has some old friends living in Colorado and she wanted to visit while she was there. Of course, she's a big girl and we can't keep her with us all the time. LOL! So we drove over to Denver Tuesday to do some sightseeing and same time drop Jasmine at her friends' home.
We went to Denver Zoo and we were impressed and we were there the whole afternoon. We all were starving and pooped out. The wee kids were already fast asleep in the van. We ended up dropping Jasmine at a hotel and she took care of herself and all. As of now she is still planning to move to Colorado. So I know there'll be a repeat trip visiting Colorado in the near future. I'm thrilled for her and also for us! :0)
Wednesday morning we drove south to Leadville, an old mining town that has railroad ride. We rode on the train there and then took the scenic route back to our resort. More pictures later.
Thursday morning found us checking out of our resort and heading over to Utah to Moab. But on the way there we were wondering if it was worth going for just a few hours then another long drive to Grand Canyon and again just for a few hours then more driving to Flagstaff. We checked the Colorado map and realize there is more to see and decided then to drive south and on the most scenic route in Colorado.
It was a hairy drive down to Telluride with a stop at Ouray. At Ouray, we never saw so many Jeeps there and they're proud of their title of Jeep Capitol of the world. And they also happened to have Jeep Weekender event there so there was gazillion of Jeeps!! And it also said the be the Switzerland town in Ouray which was true. Just smaller version.
We got to Telluride and it was late and dark and we didn't bother checking into a motel and just slept in the van. Thank goodness I had all of us to wear socks for it was a chilly night. My senor and I were cold and we look over to our wee kids and they were sleeping looking warm and snug and Boy we were jealous of them.
Finally morning arrived with warm sun! Telluride is a beautiful town. They had free tram ride and said to be the only one in the world to provide that free tram ride and use it as transportation to the next town and parking. They had Brews and Blues festival and my senor was sorely disappointed to miss it for it was $60 per person and we didn't have any lawn chairs or blanket with us so we could stay and enjoy. And we also felt that our kids were too young.
So we just rode the tram and checked our their farmers' market which was right at the entrance to the tram and sight seeing and drove out of Telluride and head south. Our next stop was the Mesa Verde National Park. I was soo happy to get to go there cuz they had old Indians stuffs. Hoo boy, it was the longest entrance and a hairy drive. We were dreading the drive back since it was already late in the afternoon. Then we spied hotel? We weren't sure but when we discovered it was, we knew we were staying there regardless of the price. And we did! And we had a lot of fun. I think I shaved a few years off my life there both days. I'm saving that news with the pictures. I'm chuckling at the memories now. Whew!
Saturday afternoon after the fun and the scare at the park we headed out and stopped at Durango, famous cowboy town. We were already kind of tired and wanted to get out to New Mexico so we didn't get to walk down the historic town of Durango. We stayed overnight at Cuba, New Mexico knowing we had about 2 hours left to Albuquerque. We were too tired to keep on driving and just pulled over.
Sunday, September 19, found us at the Albuquerque State Fair. It was an experience we loved and enjoyed very very much. Have tons of stories from that fair. Again I'm saving the news with pictures.
We left the fair at closing time and drove a bit to look for motel which we berated ourselves for not finding one before going to the fair. Shoot! Then we ended up just drive and drive and drive. Slept a few hours here and there and we arrived home.
Home Sweet Home!
No comments:
Post a Comment