Monday, November 1, 2010

Santa Fe Farmers Market

While we were in Austin, Texas we had stopped in the AAA office to collect maps and tourist information since we abruptly changed our plans and we did not even have those information. Only what we had heard or knew about but don't know exactly where it was. I was the hoarder of all those brochures, maps and information. They had a map and places to see in of Santa Fe/Taos for sale. I was not sure if I should buy it but in the end I decided to buy it and my dear senor made fun of me saying we don't really need that map since we have all those brochures.

While he drove I skimmed through all those brochures and getting the feel of the area that we are heading over and deciding where we should go visit first.

That map that I bought proved to be the best source of information. It was what we carried around with us in our back packs. It had mentioned a few things that none of the many many brochures I have gotten in the same area. It mentioned what was really important to me--guess what it was??-- F L E A market! Ha ha ha! I know there are many flea markets all over the places but it's always different in regions. And us being far from home in Florida, I knew it will be different in New Mexico and I was wanting some Mexico items and see different Mexican food. It also mentioned farmers market!

The map I had bought from AAA turned out to be invaluable!
You know what my senor said when I bragged that it was a good thing I bought that map anyway.
"I was smart to marry you", my dear senor bragged back.
LOL

Has a little of everything, place to see, drive, eat, sleep, play, shop and sight seeing.

It was unbreakable, waterproof, two-sided, fold-able, and simply wonderful best best of everything.

We were so lucky to be at Santa Fe at the right time. There was festival at the old town square. A local Indian flea market just outside Santa Fe on their reservation, that was a place to visit if ya'll want some Indian cultures or items. And they had farmers market twice weekly and it was the best farmers market I have ever been to. So colorful and so many good looking produces and how I was wishing there was one like that at home or even moving to Santa Fe.

My family at the well maintained permanent site of farmers market in Santa Fe just a few heart beats away from old town square and right next to the rail road depot.

Early morning and it was chilly. My senor brave it out without his jacket. Silly but he wanted to be a MAN. LOL

But he immediately bought himself a coffee! Ha ha ha!

Our first view of the produce stands and it was huge.

The first thing we smelled beside coffee was those chile peppers being roasting. It was a heavenly smell and look at all those colorful chile peppers. I wanted to take a little of everything in a bushel and take home and make those sauce out of them and make stuffed chile but we were a long way from home and and still in the midst of our vacation. I sadly walked away from them. They said we could freeze those roasted peppers but honey, we only have our cooler and they won't stay frozen on our trip. I really was disappointed.

A close-up of those roasted chiles already in ziplock bags and samples to taste.
They really really was aromatic. Ahhhh! A really pleasant sense of smell.

All those colorful good looking produce and our kids was taking samples of almost everything that appeals to them. Annabelle munching on something.

I was grumbling to myself all morning wishing I was able to cook them up and use those produce but we were nowhere close to a kitchen and a week away from going to our RCI condo in Vail, Colorado.

My dear senor at another colorful produce stand.
See that empty coffee cup? Ha ha.

Trying out those Indian bread. Mine had rhubarbs and cinnamon on top. I'm in heaven.
Rhubarb!!!! I was surprised they had them around here in New Mexico! Now that I know it does get cold here and it makes for a good climate for those cold loving rhubarbs.

More! There was so many colorful produce. I could not stop being so appreciative of those and really, they were a marvel!

Jonah and his papa.

We couldn't help but stop and smell those wonderful big orange flower. I am bad at naming them BUT I appreciate them.

There was a huge building and more vendors! Our kids had a run around spell while we ate our breakfast and to warm up from the cold outside.

Trying to coax them to stay and eat! Impossible when they have this wide open space to run and run and run. They don't like being cooped up in the van while we drive and drive and drive. Their main concern is playground. More playground. They will cry if we drive past a big looking fun playground. So we always make an effort to stop at those big one and let them have their run.

Annabelle really like this big sunflower.

Sunflower, hey I know that one!

See those chiles bunched up together and hanging down from the canopy? They're called ristras. I bought 2 small ones. They're hanging up in my kitchen! They were fresh and heavy and now they're so light and has some mold on it cuz I left it in the van in plastic bag. I goofed! But surprising the mold has not spread and all. The mold are hidden in the back. They're pretty there in my Mexican themed kitchen.

We know we will be back to Santa Fe, New Mexico again and again. So much to see and all. There's even skiing resort nearby for those who loves to ski in the winter time.

We'll be back, Santa Fe!

No comments:

Post a Comment